Saturday, November 06, 2004

Opera

I don't really want to get into anything more about politics. I'm done for awhile with those types of discussions...

I went to my first opera this past Wednesday night. It wasn't quite what I expected, but I did enjoy it. I was unable to understand the singing parts, but no one could. Mozart wrote the thing, so it seemed quite respectable, but it wasn't exactly mainstream. It was titled Zauberfloete. For some reason, I got mixed up and thought it was Sauberfloete (clean flute) instead of Zauberfloete (magic flute). Good thing I was wrong because it makes much more sense for the flute to be magical.

I was lucky and received a seat. Several people from our group only got standing places...which would have been painful to do for three hours straight while remaining polite for the opera atmosphere.

Afterwards, we went out for drinks with one of our professors. Actually, she is no longer my professor, since my change of classes, but she's really cool. We exchanged crazy stories and it is so much fun to talk to her because her German is ALWAYS understandable since she is a teacher. There are no misunderstandings or problems with the language barrier. It's awesome.

I definitely would like to return to the Opera in the near future. It's a cool cultural experience and a very 'Munich' thing to do.

No comments: